Tuesday, June 2, 2009

mag mystery

so, here's the thing: have any of you ever gotten a magazine sent to you in the mail that you didn't subscribe to? i figured this is blogworthy since i'm always telling everyone about this phenomenon slash scam. i'm guessing it probably only happens if you already subscribe to some magazines, since lots of them are owned by the same companies and that's how they get your address, etc, etc. anyway- this happens to me ALL the time. i've gotten family circle and allure to name some most recent ones. and these are not one time mailings. i get a full on subscription's worth. i'm blogging about this because recently i've received the mother of all mags.. us weekly. it has come to me in my name, to my address, for several weeks now...and i'm not a subscriber. so, even though i am thoroughly enjoying catching up on the j and k + 8 scandal (SO SAD), i'm curious when this will end. i have suspected that these are all attempts to make you think you subscribe to something that you really don't, so when a "renewal" notice comes, you'll feel all remorseful if you don't sign up for another round. and...ding ding ding.. i'm right. i got a notice from us weekly the other day that was like "LAST CHANCE TO RENEW!!" yeah right suckers. keep sending me my freebies. i'm not renewing anything. 

4 comments:

Katie M said...

WHAT?! Lucky...

The only free one we randomly started getting was Fitness. And it was addressed to "Camero McNeil" haha.

I keep telling myself I don't need US weekly but I do, I really do.

Erica said...

That is great! You are super lucky and yes the Jon and Kate thing...so sad. I actually feel so bad for them. I agree though who doesn't love US weekly. I always used to look at it while I waited in line at the grocery store prior to having Camryn now that I have her I never get to, so you have lucked out! However, there have been a few times when my neighbors magazines come to my address on accident which is great because I read them and then return them to her. Fun post.

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

At first I thought that perhaps someone had sent you a subscription for you BIRTHDAY that happens to be THIS FRIDAY JUNE 5TH!!!!! Because we all know that magazine subscriptions are fab presents...the gift that keeps on giving... I'm loving Lucky!!

Alex and Garrett said...

You told me this and I still think you're just TOO lucky. I get Allure sans subscription, but would way rather get Us Weekly. It's at least a solid hour of entertainment.