Sunday, May 9, 2010

pool party

i came across this quote today and realized in hindsight it pretty much sums up how i've been feeling lately. the other day i told adam that somedays i just feel like all i'm trying to do is get to 8pm. aka bedtime. but then a week goes by and i wind up feeling like i've hardly spent anytime with olivia or violet at all, even though i have. so anyway, i guess this is why on saturday at like 430pm, i pulled it together and took my big sis to the pool. it was only her 2nd swim of the season so she was a little gun-shy, but once she was in she couldn't have been happier. she wanted me to either pull her around in the water or sit her on the edge so she could say, "ready? yesth (yes with a lisp instead of "set."), go!" and then jump in, only to say "swim back" so she could do it again. she didn't want to leave but was willing to go when coerced with a sippy cup of apple juice that she slammed in about 2 seconds. girlfriend loves her drinks. she can't leave a cup empty. 
        
“the biggest mistake i made as a parent is the one that most of us make. i did not live in the moment enough. this is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. there is one picture of my three children sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. and i wish i could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. i wish i had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. i wish i had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." -- anna quindlen

         




8 comments:

Courtney from The Beauty Mark said...

I feel like I am saying the same thing everyday. I often tell Hudson that time is so different when you have children. It moves so quickly and then all of the sudden you feel like you are looking at a kid that used to be a baby and you're not quite sure how it happened.

I literally do not remember Dean when he was a baby because all I wanted him to do was go down for his nap, or start sitting up, crawling, walking, etc. Being a mother is so heartbreaking in that way. But I know you are a great mom and Olivia and Violet are SO lucky to have you.

My favorite quote is from Marjorie Hinckley, it says, "The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." It sums up exactly how I want to live my life! But it is definitely easier said than done :) Love you!

Shannon said...

I am dying to go to a pool here. Too bad it's been snowing and raining in Salt Lake. Boo.

Shannon said...

ps, Olivia's little swimsuit is so cute.

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

Thanks for the quote, and the reminder!
Also- I LOVE those little buns in that swimsuit. Andddd i love your beautiful face.

J & J said...

such a good point. we women have so MANY responsibilities it seems, ya know? the men go to work, provide for the family, etc. we stay home, do laundry, pack lunches, change diapers, shower (maybe), make breakfast, lunch, and dinner, fold clothes, put them away, empty dishwasher, clean, vacuum, clean some more, make beds, organize, etc. etc. etc. and before/during/after all of that, we're giving attention to our little lovies, showering them with kisses and hugs and conversation. it's a lot to handle. but it really is sort of beautiful. and i'd so rather be a woman... at the end of it all, we have it so good. thanks for the reminder my friend.

Heather and Dave said...

Love this little story and love how you're totally honest - cause all us mamas do the same thing - you're not alone and I love that you were able to do a fun date with miss O. I bet she was loving the one on one attention. Cute little wedgie - and cute mothers day photos of you and your own gorgeous mama. The apple most definitely didn't fall far from the tree :)

Brooke said...

I try to remind myself of that all the time, kind of like how people tell you to take mental snapshots on your wedding day to remember the special moments. I know as I'm taking the snapshots and creating the memories that my mind will betray me and I won't be able to remember these younger years so I'm starting to rely more and more on taking zillions of home videos.

On a separate note, I hear you're wavering on your trip to Austin, YOU HAVE TO COME!!! Seriously!! I mean it!

Kristen said...

i LOVE that quote!!! sooooooooooo true.